If you are an aspirant of UGC NET exam 2017, you are at the right place. We are present here with all the necessary details and updates of the exam. We will excavate every single information for you regarding this exam.
CBSE holds National Eligibility Test abbreviated as NET, twice every year on behalf of University Grant Commission. The exam is conducted to examine the eligibility of competitors for Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). CBSE conducts NET in 84 subjects at 90 examination centers across the country.
*CSIR ie, The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research conducts UGC-CSIR NET for all other science subjects.
The test is conducted twice in a year generally in the month of June and December but from this year UGC has announced to conduct the exam only once, in November and hence this year the assigned date for the UGC NET exam is 5th of November 2017.
Those who separately mark Assistant Professor in preference will be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in their concerned subject in the Govt. Universities, Private Institutions, IITs etc.. The JRF awardees can be recruited as full-time researchers in the Indian Universities. The fellowship under JRF will be valid for two years w.e.f. the issue date of JRF Award Letter.
Read this complete article to know everything about UGC NET Exam 2017 – Eligibility, UGC NET 2017 exam date, UGC NET online application and details about CBSE UGC NET admit card 2017.
You can visit this year’s notification by clicking on the below mentioned link.
UGC NET Exam 2017 – Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have secured at least 55% marks in Master’s degree or equivalent exam from the universities and institutions recognized by UGC. 50% marks in the same are required for the backward class reservation holders ie OBC/SC/ST and Persons with disability (PWD).
- Candidates who are appearing for the final year of their Masters can also apply for NET. However the admissions of such candidates will be provisional and they have to complete their degree within the stipulated time of 2 years with 55% (for reserved category-50%), failing which they will be disqualified on the ground of basic eligibility.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September 1991 shall get relaxation for 5% in aggregate marks.
- Applicants can only appear in the subject of Post-graduation. Candidates whose subject has not been covered under the exam may appear in a related subject.
Age Limit and Relaxation
- For JRF – Not more than 28 years as on 01.11.2017. A 5-year relaxation is provided to the OBC/SC/ST/PWD and women applicants. This relaxation of 5 years is also extended to the candidates who have research experience in the relevant field/subject of post-graduation. 3 years relaxation can be sought by LLM students and in no circumstances, the total age relaxation can be exceeded by more than 5 years.
- For Assistant Professor- There is no such upper age limit for eligibility of Assistant professor.
Exempted Candidates (Already Eligible for Assistant Professor)
- The candidates already cleared UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are exempted from NET.
- The candidates who have cleared the State Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility of Assistant Professor held prior to 1st December 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET. These candidates can apply for the post anywhere in India. The SET qualifies candidates after 1st Dec 2002 can only apply in the Universities and Colleges situated in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
Important Dates for CBSE UGC NET 2017
|Online Application Form Submission||11th August 2017|
|Last date for Applying Online||11th September 2017|
|Last date of submission of Fee through online generated Bank Challan, at any branch of (SYNDICATE/CANARA/ICICI/HDFC BANK)||12th September 2017|
|Correction in application form on the website||19th to 25th Sep 2017|
|Uploading of CBSE UGC NET Admit Card 2017||3rd week of Oct 2017|
|Date of UGC NET online exam 2017||05th November 2017|
The UGC NET exam result 2017 will be made available on the websites: www.cbsenet.nic.in as and when it is declared. The candidate will not be individually intimated about their result.
CBSE UGC NET 2017 – Exam Pattern
The test is conducted in three phases in a single day. There are three separate papers, consists of only objective type questions. This year it will be conducted on 05th November 2017 on Sunday in three separate sessions.
- Paper I is of general nature, it consists questions related to teaching and research aptitude, Quantitative aptitude, Reasoning ability and General awareness. 50 objective questions of 2 marks each shall be asked and all questions will be compulsory. Therefore this first paper of UGC NET is of total 100 marks.
- Paper II – Questions will of objective nature but only related to the subject selected by the candidate during form filling process. The paper will contain 50 questions and each question will carry 2 marks.
- Paper III- 75 Objective questions will be asked from the specified subject. Each question will be of 2 marks and hence this paper carries 150 marks in total.
All candidates will be provided with OMR Sheets in which they will mark their responses.
|Session||Paper||Marks||Number of Question||Duration|
|First||I||100||50 questions all are compulsory||75 minutes
(09:30 A.M. to 10:45 A.M.)
|Second||II||100||50 questions all are compulsory||75 minutes
(11:15A.M. to 12:30 P.M.)
|Third||III||150||75 questions all are compulsory||150 minutes
(02:00 P.M. to 04:30 P.M.)
Note: There is No Negative Marking for incorrect answers
This will comprise of various steps listed below
- The minimum aggregate marks necessary to secure for clearing step 1 is 40% for the general category and 35% for the OBC (Non-creamy layer)/PwD/SC/ST.
- Top 6% of the candidates will be shortlisted from the candidates who secured min. aggregate marks. These will be NET qualified candidates and will be eligible for Assistant Professor only. (If they have selected the option during form filling)
- A separate merit list will be prepared for the award of JRF amongst the NET qualified candidates. This list is prepared by using the below-mentioned formula designed by UGC-
Formula for calculating no. of JRF slots in a subject
No. of slots under General (UR) category for JRF in a subject = (No. of candidates who have opted for JRF and are qualified for eligibility for Assistant Professor in that subject × No. of slots available under General (UR) category ÷ Total No. of General (UR) candidates who have opted for JRF and are qualified for eligibility for Assistant Professor)
Similar formula will be used for reserved category as well.
How to Apply for UGC NET Exam 2017?
Now Aadhaar card is mandatory for the application of NET exam. Therefore first thing you need to apply for this exam is Aadhaar number.
UGC NET online application has been closed on 11th September 2017
(i) Candidates who want to apply should only apply online on www.cbse.nic.in. The candidates should possess the following:
- Passport size photograph of minimum 4kb to 40 kb in JPG format. Dimension of the photograph should be 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5 cm (height)
- Signature of minimum 4kb to 30 kb in JPG format; the dimension of the signature should be 3.5 cm (width) x 1.5 cm (height)
(ii) After filling all the details for applying online for NET the candidates have to select the option of payment of examination fee either by credit/debit card or through e-challan generated during the online filling of the application form
iii) The candidates are required to bring a photo identity card along with their printout of online admission card on the day of examination.
The candidates must read the conditions of eligibility carefully and must satisfy themselves regarding their eligibility for the Test before filling the application form.
Fee for UGC NET Exam 2017
|Category||General||Other Backward Classes as per the Central list of OBC available on www.ncbc.nic.in||SC/ST/PWD|
|Examination Fee||Rs. 1000/-||Rs. 500/-||Rs. 250/-|
The application fee can be paid only using two modes either by credit/debit card or by e-challan generated during the online filling of the application form.
Fee submitted by any other mode like money order, demand draft etc. will be rejected and will not be refunded under any circumstances. The confirmation page need not to be sent to UGC, CBSE or any other related organization.
We will keep you updated on further developments. For any uncertainties, applicants can visit the CBSE website for further updates.
- CBSE UGC NET Admit Card 2017
The candidates can download their admit cards from www.cbsenet.nic.in in the third week of October 2017. We will also provide you with the direct link for UGC NET admit card, as and when it becomes available.
No admit cards will be sent by post to the applicant’s address.
UGC NET Syllabus
Syllabi of all Net subjects can be downloaded from the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in
See the detailed subject-wise UGC NET 2017 syllabus by clicking the link of your subject below:
|UGC NET Exam|
|UGC NET Syllabus for English|
|UGC NET Syllabus for Hindi|
|UGC NET Syllabus for Economics|
|UGC NET Syllabus for History|
|UGC NET Syllabus for Geography|
Important Dates (should be visited for further updates)