In this post, we are going to look at some Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (31st March 2018). These are very helpful for Banking and other competitive exams.
These words have been taken from an Editorial of “The Hindu” newspaper and the name of the article is:
“Exposing fault lines: the violence over Ram Navami processions”
Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (31st March 2018)
- retaliatory (adjective) :a desire for revenge. (प्रतिशोध का)
Synonyms: Vindictive, Punishing
Example: He urged people not to resort to retaliatory violence.
- procession (noun):a number of people or vehicles moving forward in an orderly fashion, especially as part of a ceremony. (जुलूस)
Synonyms: cortege, motorcade
Example: People came in flocks to see the royal procession.
- defy (verb) :openly resist or refuse to obey. (अवहेलना करना)
Synonyms: Elude, confront, flout, disregard
Antonyms: obey, assist
Example: I wouldn’t have dared to defy my teachers.
- utter (verb) :make (a sound) with one’s voice. (बोलना)
Synonyms: speak, emit
Example: She didn’t utter a word all night.
- pretext (noun) :a reason given in justification of a course of action that is not the real reason. (बहाना)
Synonyms: Excuse, pretence, guise
Example: He got into the house on the pretext of checking the gas.
- provoke (verb) : stimulate or incite (someone) to do or feel something, especially by arousing anger in them. (भड़काना)
Synonyms: foment, aggravate, enrage, incite
Antonyms: alleviate, appease, placate
Example: That might provoke a riot, the very thing he was trying to avoid.
- sectarian (noun) :a member of a sect. (सांप्रदायिक)
Synonyms: Separatist, dissenter
Example: he was attacked by sectarians within the world of modern art.
- plausible (adjective) :seeming reasonable or probable. (मुमकिन)
Synonyms: Credible, logical, tenable
Antonyms: improbable, irrational
Example: She could find no plausible explanation for its disappearance.
- render (verb) :provide or give (a service, help, etc.). (देना)
Synonyms: give, supply, provide
Example: We are going to render them economic assistance.
Hope you liked Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (31st March 2018). Please keep yourself updated to learn important vocabulary and try to use these words so you can remember them for long time.
All the best!
Please don’t miss our other videos by subscribing to our YouTube Channel