In this post, we are going to look at some Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (29th March 2018). These are very helpful for Banking and other competitive exams.
These words have been taken from an Editorial of “The Hindu” newspaper and the name of the article is:
“Curbing the khaps”
Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (29th March 2018)
- Abominable (adjective) :Exceptionally bad. (घिनौना)
Synonyms: Abhorrent, loathsome, hateful, despicable
Antonyms: Pleasant, desirous, Honourable
Example: Why have you done such an abominable thing?
- Entrenched (adjective):established firmly and securely. (आरोपित हुआ)
Synonyms: Rooted, fortified, firm
Antonyms: changeable, irresolute
Example: These dictators have entrenched themselves politically and are difficult to move.
- Prejudice (noun) :preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience. (पूर्वधारणा)
Synonyms: preconception, bias
Antonyms: fairness, impartiality
Example: Prejudice sometimes hampers a person from doing the right thing.
- Patriarchal (adjective) :relating to or denoting a system of society or government controlled by men. (पित्तंत्रात्मक)
Example: The typical organization of early society was based upon the patriarchal family.
- Inevitable (adjective) :certain to happen; unavoidable. (अपरिहार्य)
Synonyms: Inescapable, unpreventable, certain
Antonyms: Avoidable, escapable,
Example: The accident was the inevitable consequence of carelessness.
- Ostracize (verb) : exclude from a society or group. (बहिष्कार करना)
Synonyms: blacklist, exclude, expel, banish
Antonyms: include, admit, accept
Example: He was ostracized by his colleagues for refusing to support the strike.
- Punitive (adjective) :inflicting or intended as punishment. (दंडात्मक)
Synonyms: Punishing, vindictive, penal, disciplinary
Antonyms: rewarding, beneficial
Example: The UN has imposed punitive sanctions on the invading country.
- Brazen (adjective) :bold and without shame. (बेशर्म)
Synonyms: Shameless, unabashed, audacious
Antonyms: Shame, abashed
Example: There were instances of brazen cheating in the exams.
- Deterrent (noun) :a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something. (हतोत्साह करनेवाला)
Synonyms: hindrance, obstacle, disincentive
Antonyms: Assistance, encouragement
Example: Hopefully his punishment will act as a deterrent to others.
- persuade (verb) :convince someone to do something. (राज़ी करना)
Synonyms: coax, cajole, influence, prompt
Antonyms: dissuade, prevent
Example: I failed in my attempt to persuade her for going to the party.
Hope you liked Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (29th March 2018). Please keep yourself updated to learn important vocabulary and try to use these words so you can remember them for long time.
All the best!
Please don’t miss our other videos by subscribing to our YouTube Channel