In this post, we are going to look at some Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (28th March 2018). These are very helpful for Banking and other competitive exams.
These words have been taken from an Editorial of “The Hindu” newspaper and the name of the article is:
“Russia, a rogue nation?”
Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (28th March 2018)
- Rogue (noun) :a dishonest or unprincipled man. (दुष्ट)
Synonyms: Scoundrel, rascal, villain, swindler, felonious
Antonyms: Honest, Modest
Example: The rogue took the car and registration documents.
- Concerted (adjective):jointly arranged or carried out; coordinated. (सम्मिलित)
Synonyms: collective, united, conjunctive
Antonyms: disarranged, separate, uncoordinated
Example: The richer countries of the world should take concerted action to help the poorer countries.
- Purge (noun) :an abrupt or violent removal of a group of people. (अलग करना)
Synonyms: expulsion, extermination
Antonyms: keeping, holding
Example: The new state governor has promised to purge the police force of corruption.
- covert (adjective) :not openly acknowledged or displayed. (छल से किया हुआ)
Synonyms: Hidden, surreptitious, stealthy
Antonyms: open, revealed, above board
Example: They have been supplying covert military aid to the rebels.
- collude (verb) :come to a secret understanding. (सांठ-गांठ करना)
Synonyms: conspire, connive, intrigue
Example: The president accused his opponents of colluding with foreigners.
- manoeuvre (verb) : move skilfully or carefully. (पैंतरेबाज़ी)
Synonyms: navigate, steer, guide
Antonyms: fumble, mishandle, mess up
Example: A rapid manoeuvre by the driver prevented an accident.
- exacerbate (verb) :make a situation worse. (ख़राब करना)
Synonyms: aggravate, complicate, worsen
Antonyms: ameliorate, improve
Example: Interfering now would only exacerbate the situation.
- corollary (noun) :a condition or occurrence traceable to a cause. (परिणाम)
Synonyms: conclusion, consequence, aftereffect
Antonyms: Antecedent, cause
Example: Is social inequality the inevitable corollary of economic freedom?
- eschew (verb) :deliberately avoid using; abstain from. (त्याग करना)
Synonyms: abandon, forgo, renounce
Antonyms: face, keep
Example: A civilised leader must eschew violence.
- subversion (noun) :the undermining of the power and authority of an established system or institution. (दुर्बल करना)
Synonyms: sabotage, disruption, overthrow
Antonyms: improve, strengthen
Example: He was found guilty of subversion and imprisoned.
Hope you liked Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (28th March 2018). Please keep yourself updated to learn important vocabulary and try to use these words so you can remember them for long time.
All the best!
Please don’t miss our other videos by subscribing to our YouTube Channel