In this post, we are going to look at some Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (27th March 2018). These are very helpful for Banking and other competitive exams.
These words have been taken from an Editorial of “The Hindu” newspaper and the name of the article is:
“Scuff and buff: on the ball-tampering controversy”
Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (27th March 2018)
- tampering (verb) :interfere with (something) in order to cause damage or make unauthorized alterations. ( हस्तक्षेप करना)
Synonyms: Interfere, tinker, doctor
Antonyms: repair, improve
Example: We should never tamper with safety devices in valves or cylinders.
- murky (adjective):dark and gloomy, especially due to thick mist. (धुंधला)
Synonyms: cloudy, dirty, nebulous
Antonyms: Apparent, clear,
Example: The light was too murky to continue playing.
- innocuous (adjective) :not harmful or offensive. (अहानिकर)
Synonyms: harmless, non-poisonous, non-toxic
Antonyms: harmful, toxic
Example: Some mushrooms look innocuous but are in fact poisonous.
- abrasive (noun) :a substance used for grinding, polishing, or cleaning a hard surface. (अपघर्षक)
Example: Do not use abrasive kitchen cleaners or fluids and never apply the cleaner directly to the surface.
- fracas (noun) :a noisy disturbance or quarrel. (कोलाहल)
Synonyms: Scuffle, tussle, clash, altercation
Antonyms: peace, harmony, calm
Example: The police were called in to stop the fracas.
- peril (noun) : serious and immediate danger. (जोखिम)
Synonyms: danger, jeopardy, hazard
Antonyms: safety, protection
Example: We face the immediate peril of being bought out by another company.
- complicity (noun) :the fact or condition of being involved with others in an activity that is unlawful or morally wrong. (सहभागिता)
Synonyms: collusion, involvement, participation
Antonyms: innocence, non-involvement
Example: Fifty-nine men were arrested for complicity in the lynching.
- despicable (adjective) :deserving hatred and contempt. (घृणित)
Synonyms: contemptible, loathsome, hateful
Antonyms: Honourable, reputable
Example: From beginning to end his conduct had been despicable and wicked.
- nefarious (adjective) :wicked or criminal. (कुटिल)
Synonyms: heinous, odious, vicious
Antonyms: delightful, gentle
Example: He was universally feared because of his many nefarious deeds.
- grudging (adjective) :unwilling to give or allow something. (अनिच्छा प्रकट करना)
Synonyms: reluctant, disinclined, hesitant
Antonyms: allow, approve, grant
Example: I didn’t think his grudging remarks really counted as an apology.
Hope you liked Important Vocabulary Words – ‘The Hindu’ Editorial (27th March 2018). Please keep yourself updated to learn important vocabulary and try to use these words so you can remember them for long time.
All the best!
Please don’t miss our other videos by subscribing to our YouTube Channel