Hello friends, we have brought this Daily Current Affairs – 28th March 2018 for you here. Read till the end to know all important news for the day. Stay tuned and follow this series to improve your general awareness. We strive to give you every information at one point so that you don’t have to waste your time searching for it on the internet. So, read on and enjoy the current affairs for today.
Daily Current Affairs – 28th March 2018
- SC rules interference by Khap Panchayat in marriages as ‘absolutely illegal’
The Supreme Court on March 27, 2018 termed the interference by illegal assemblies like ‘khap panchayat’ in marriages of two consenting adults as’ absolutely illegal’ and laid down guidelines to prevent such intrusions.
- The ruling came on a petition filed against khap panchayats by NGO Shakti Vahini, which had moved the top court in 2010 seeking protection of couples from honour killings.
- The apex court stated that any illegal assembly ‘khap’ cannot prevent the marriage between two consenting adults.
- Arab world’s first nuclear reactor complete
The United Arab Emirates said on March 26, 2018 that one of the four nuclear reactors at its debut nuclear power plant has been completed.
- With this development, UAE moves closer to becoming the first Arab nation to produce atomic power.
- While the second reactor is 92 percent complete, the third is 81 percent complete and the fourth is 66 percent complete.
- When fully operational, the four reactors will produce 5,600 megawatts of electricity, or around 25 percent of the country’s needs.
- 27th March: World Theatre Day (WTD)
The World Theatre Day (WTD) is celebrated annually on 27th March by ITI Centres and the international theatre community.
- World Theatre Day was created in 1961 by an international non-governmental organization International Theatre Institute (ITI), France.
- ITI was founded in 1948 by UNESCO and the international theatre community.
- Asia’s largest tulip garden in Srinagar thrown open to visitors
Malaysian Government on March 26, 2018 tabled a bill in parliament to outlaw fake news proposing hefty fines and 10 years in jail for publishers of fake news.
- Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden has been opened for visitors in Srinagar (Jammu & Kashmir).
- It is the largest tulip garden in Asia spread over an area of about 30 hectares.
- Scientists develop sun shield to protect Great Barrier Reef
Scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Biology have developed an ultra-fine biodegradable film, some 50000 times thinner than a human hair, to prevent coral bleaching, which had spread across the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in 2016 and 2017.
- Scientists developed a film which acts as a sun shield to protect the Great Barrier Reef from environmental degradation.
- The Great Barrier Reef of Australia, a UNESCO World Heritage-listed site, attracts millions of tourists every year.
- It is home to some 400 types of coral, 1,500 species of fish and 4,000 varieties of molluscs.
- UP Assembly passes stringent bill to curb organised crime
The state assembly of Uttar Pradesh on March 27, 2018 passed a stringent bill to curb organised crime and deal strictly with those trying to fuel terror.
- It provides for punishment amounting from a minimum of three years’ imprisonment to capital punishment
- The bill has been framed on the same lines as the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
- Deadline to Link PAN with Aadhaar Extended to June 30
- The CBDT has extended the deadline for the PAN-Aadhaar linking to June 30. The policy-making body of the tax department issued an order extending the deadline from the current last date of March 31.
- The order said the deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linking for filing I-T returns is being extended after “consideration of the matter”.
- Department of Posts launches Cool EMS Service between India and Japan
Ministry of Communications has launched the Cool EMS Service which will come into force from 29.03.2018.
- Cool EMS service is one-way service from Japan to India which allows customers in India to import Japanese food items for personal use which is allowed under Indian regulations.
- Initially, Cool EMS Service will be available in Delhi only.
- 3,21,567 Affordable Houses sanctioned for Urban Poor under PMAY(Urban)
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has approved the construction of 3,21,567 more affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) with an investment of Rs. 18,203 cr with central assistance of Rs. 4,752 cr. T.
- The projects were sanctioned across 523 cities in the states of Haryana, West Bengal, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Mizoram, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab & Goa.
Hope you like this Daily Current Affairs – 28th March 2018. keep learning…!!